Chipmunk – The Big Stretch

The things some of us will do for a snack.

1/3200, f/6.3, ISO 800, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM + EF 1.4 III Extender, not baited, set up or called in

Three days ago in the mountains this chipmunk had a hankering for musk thistle seed, and maybe flowers. But the flower “he” was after was on one of the tallest stems and he was far from it so it seemed to be way out of reach. But he was determined to git’er done and he did, in part by holding on with his hind legs and leveraging his body toward the stem in a pretty incredible horizontal stretch.

I like this shot, flaws or not. I was too close for my big lens and I wish that flower were behind him instead of in front of him but I love that big stretch and his determination. The phrase is overused but both “make me smile.”

1/4000, f/6.3, ISO 800, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM + EF 1.4 III Extender, not baited, set up or called in

And then he simply walked up the stalk with his front feet while his hind feet were still holding on to his original perch. Mission accomplished.

When there’s a will there’s a way if you’re hungry enough.

Ron

Note: I believe this is a Least Chipmunk but I can’t tell for sure. He sure was tiny.

35 Comments

1. Jean Hickok-Haley

The pictures are adorable. The 2nd is my favorite. When one lives off the land you have to be clever. I too loved the Traveling Willburys. Funny, my Hubby and I have been listening to their music just this week. Then I started watching Jeff Lynn’s music. He is touring again, and sounds the same as he did years ago.

2. The Wilburys, the Weavers, Chapin, Clapton, Kingston Trio, etc….Such amazing music. I wonder if today’s generation will wax nostalgic over their music in the way we do.

OK, back to your post. 🙂 For some reason that bright thistle casting the shadow on him just tickles me to no end. I get the sense that he’s having bend around it American Ninja Warrior-style.

3. Delightful photos!! Chipmunks are a favorite of mine.

4. The Traveling Wilburies OFTEN come with us on long car trips (so we travel with the Wilburies).
    Love the stretch that little guy could manage. And, of course, am a tad jealous.

5. We have the Townsend’s chipmunk here and, although less than half the size of the invasive Eastern Gray squirrels, it is not intimidated by them and will chase them off at times. Haven’t seen acrobatics like your post shows, though (yet).
    Harrison, Orbison and Petty are gone. Making me feel old, but lucky to still be able to listen to them.

• It broke my heart when Orbison died, Lyle. I think I mentioned once before that I saw him perform early in his career (’64 I believe) on a very intimate stage – a small high school gym in Great Falls, MT. I was only a few feet from him. What a voice!

A good friend of mine (Dean Hendrickson) told a fib to Orbison’s manager and said he was our high school newspaper editor and wanted to interview Roy for an article. And he got away with it – he got the one on one interview! Dean was starstruck.

6. Adorable and great captures!

7. Ron, what a determined little guy. I never knew that chipmunks ate flowers, but then again, I never thought about what they eat. I too am a big fan of Roy Orbison with his very deep voice and his “rolling r’s”. A great post, as Dick Harlow would say. Thanks

8. YOU, the chipmunk, and the Travelin’ Wilburys made me glad that I got out of bed this morning ! The Wilburys were totally unknown to this old nerd, and now I have a new
    anthem for my old age with “It’s All Right”—-you never know what will pop up in Feathered Photography —-that’s 1 excellent reason to tune in every morning…….

• “you never know what will pop up in Feathered Photography”

Typically I don’t either, Kris – when I’m writing text or when I’m responding to comments. I’ve always loved that song and what an incredible supergroup the Traveling Wilburys were.

But in this case much of the credit goes to Shoreacres for the inspiration.

9. I think it is a Least Chipmunk Ron. The Cliff and Gray-collared are more common here, but they are all very similar in appearance. As long as they are out in the wild they are very cute and fun to see. Fun photos to take or just to see. I can picture you making a stretch like this for a chocolate donut.:)

10. Whoa! 🙂 “He” REALLY put the stretch on! So what did he do when he was done eating or were you gone by then? Must be tiny relative to the chipmunks we have in the mountains here. Great to watch in a photo – don’t want them or squirrels in the yard! 😉

• Judy, at one point he chewed off one of the flowers and it dropped to the ground. I couldn’t see the flower head down there but he followed it down and I presume he ran off with it.

11. This cracks me up so much. He was a pretty determined little guy! And bypassed an equally tasty one that was closer!

12. Great photos. I have two of these varmits who raid my feeders on a daily basis. Also, have at least 8 squirrels, one who has a half a tail. Think he might have gotten in trouble at some point. Thanks for the posts.

13. I agree he is cute, but these fellows can really hang on with their toes. They are amazing how they can climb stems and still be stable!
    Great post, but I say that with all your posts. (G)

14. Cute he is! 😍 It is amazing the contortions chipmunks and squirrels go through to reach their food….often makes my day! This puts mine off on a happy note! Thanks!

• Kathy, I don’t get to watch squirrel hijinks on almost a daily basis like some folks in other areas so chipmunks are my best substitute. Thank you.

15. That chipmunk may have wished that the flower was closer, or that he didn’t have to stretch so far, but he made it work — and your photo really ‘works,’ too. Anything that can put a smile on my face before I’ve had my coffee is a good one in my book.

• I’m glad you enjoyed it, Shoreacres. Thanks.

By the way, I just read your blog bio. Anyone who likes the Traveling Wilburys is a kindred spirit.

• What a delight! Most of my friends haven’t a clue about the Traveling Wilburys, but “End of the Line” has been my anthem for years. Who doesn’t love a song that affirms that “it’s all right, even if you’re old and gray… you’ve still got something to say”?

• Exactly.

The fact that Roy Orbison was in that group was what attracted me initially (I’ve been an Orbison fan since I was a teenager) but I ended up loving nearly all of their music. What a talented and diverse bunch!

By the time they made the music video for that song Orbison was dead but they paid tribute to him anyway with his picture, his guitar rocking in the rocking chair and his voice. I loved that. Here it is – those unfamiliar with the Traveling Wilburys are very likely to recognize some familiar faces and voices: