I’m sorry to say that rampant copyright infringement and outright image theft have forced me to make an unwanted change to my blog.
In the past, those who have signed up for email subscriptions or the RSS feed have received the entire post in those versions, including images. I have disabled the ability to “right-click download” the images from my blog but I don’t have that option with the RSS feed or subscription versions.
In an attempt to prevent at least some of the theft I have now altered my settings so that the RSS feeds and email subscriptions will no longer include images – only a “summary” of the blog. This will be inconvenient for some since readers will now have to click the link to the blog to see the images. I regret that but I finally reached the point where I had to do something.
This is one of the images I’ve had the most trouble with but there are countless others. Content scrapers may force me to make additional changes in the future but at this point I’m resisting doing things like posting much smaller photos or pasting ugly watermarks across the entire image.
I have no control over who signs up for the email notifications or the RSS feeds. Many of the content scrapers are from a few foreign countries and I have blocked several of those countries from access to my blog but that’s only a partial solution and the problem persists. So much of my time is now spent filing DMCA takedown requests that it threatens to interfere with my time in the field with birds, which is unacceptable. Thus the change.
I realize this will not stop savvy thieves. But it may help and I had to try.
I apologize for any inconvenience.